Former Filipino Citizens -"Balikbayans"


 Home Buying Guide 

Former natural-born Filipinos who are now naturalized citizens of another country can buy and register, under their own name, land in the Philippines but limited in land area (see below). However,  those who  avail of the Dual Citizenship Law can buy as much as any other Filipino citizen.


Under Republic Act 9225 (Dual Citizenship Law of 2003), former Filipinos who became naturalized citizens of foreign countries are deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship, thus enabling them to enjoy all the rights and privileges of a Filipino.


Steps to Gain Dual Citizenship:

  • If you are in the Philippines, file a "Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225” at the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and for the cancellation of your alien certificate of registration.

  • Those who are not BI registered and overseas should file the petition at the nearest embassy or consulate.


  • Birth certificate authenticated my the National Statistics Office (birth certificate from the NSO can be requested online and mailed to you)

  • Accomplish and submit a “Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225” to a Philippine embassy, consulate or the Bureau of Immigration.

  • Pay a $50.00 processing fee, schedule and take an "Oath of Allegiance" before a consular officer.

  • The Bureau of Immigration in Manila receives the petition from the embassy or consular office. The BI issues and sends an Identification Certificate of citizenship to the embassy or consular office.

If a former Filipino who is now a naturalized citizen of a foreign country does not want to avail of the Dual Citizen Law, he or she can still acquire land based on BP (Batas Pambansa) 185  & RA (Republic Act) 8179 but limited to the following:


For Residential Use (BP 185 - enacted in March 1982):

  • Up to 1,000 square meters of residential land.

  • Up to one (1) hectare of agricultural of farm land.

For Business / Commercial Use (RA 8179 - amended the Foreign Investment act of 1991):

  • Up to 5,000 square meters of urban land.

  • Up to three (3) hectares of rural land.

See related articles:

Dual Citizenship law Philippines

Special Resident Retiree's Visa 

What Foreigner's Can Own  in the Philippines